Wednesday 20 June 2007

"I Just Want To Feel, Attractive, Today"

I'm feeling incredibly profound today; just wait until you hear my incredible thoughts for the day =D.

Ok right you know insects? How come, they can move a distance literally hundreds of times the size of their own bodies in seconds. I mean especially those tiny bugs, like those little red spiders you get on bricks? Imagine if humans could move distances hundreds of times longer than themselves that quickly. It would be really wow. Told you it was profound.

Now on to today's news and politics. I have a little bit of ignorant ranting to do!

On BBC Essex earlier (yes, don't ask me why, I never listen to Essex stations) the news said that the amount of children with clinical depression has doubled since the early 90's. 1 in 10 children (0-16/ 0-18? I don't know) has a mental illness and that this is going to have huge repercussions for all of us. I think this is BOLLOCKS. Proper hardcore rubbish. Fancy telling children they have mental illnesses! It's this whole nanny state thing we have here; I was diagnosed with clinical depression at 13 and put in the priory. However, I left because I personally thought I could sort it myself and I didn't need the stigma of being attached to an institution full of people who don't know what they're talking about! I have since been diagnosed with manic depression and a possible thought disorder.
The problem I have with this is; if you tell a child they are depressed, they will get more depressed, then they get onto the never ending mill of therapy. When really all they need is a hug and some perspective on their situation. I can't believe that 1 out of 10 people in my generation is going to be screwed up by depression. It is far more likely they will be screwed up by the system. The medical profession are prescribing drugs for mental illnesses for younger and younger people and I just think they are too quick to tell children they have problems. In general, I think it would be better just to leave it for as long as possible instead of "scaring" children into becoming depressed victims for life. I reckon it has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of people pay for psychiatric help, but then, I'm a complete cynic.

Gawd. I was also going to rant about Gordon Browns new secret coalition with the lib dems, the lib labs -snorts- but I thiiiiiink I will save that for later kiddies.

1 comment:

Leo said...

You are so right about that depression stuff!